Mass spectrometry microbial identification system
VITEK® MS is an automated mass spectrometry microbial identification system that uses Matrix Assisted Laser Desorption Ionization Time-of-Flight (MALDI-TOF) technology. VITEK® MS contains a comprehensive IVD-CE marked database for bacteria and fungi, including mycobacteria, Nocardia and moulds.
- Robust & accurate ID with Advanced Spectra Classifier
- Seamless integration of ID/AST results for optimized workflow
- Complete traceability & flexibility
Rapid & clear identification
In just minutes the VITEK® MS can provide single-choice identification at the species, genus, or group level. Clinicians receive quick information to adjust therapy for better overall patient care and outcomes.
HOW MALDI-TOF works
- The target slide is prepared and introduced to a high-vacuum environment.
- A precise laser burst ionizes the sample.
- A “cloud” of proteins is released and accelerated by an electric charge.
- After passing through the ring electrode, the proteins’ Time of Flight is recorded using a formula from the time recorded.
- Proteins are detected with a sensor to create a spectrum that represents the protein makeup of each sample.
Accurate, robust results
bioMerieux’s proprietary Advanced Spectra Classifier offers robust and accurate results needed for optimal patient-care decisions. The VITEK®MS system reads each spectrum as a series of peaks that are detected and sorted by mass and intensity. With the use of the Advance Spectra Classifier, better discrimination is provided as every peak is considered in the calculation of the identification result. There are no spectra comparisons, and the reference spectra are not embedded in the commercial software.
The VITEK®MS contains a population built database, accounting for diversity among strains within the same species, leading to robust and accurate performance without the need to modify scores.
The database is built to allow for better discrimination between species. This is accomplished by including spectra for each species generated from:
- An average of >14 isolates/species and average of 36 spectra/species
- Geographical diversity of isolates
- Isolates of different sample origins (e.g. blood, tissue, etc.)
- Isolates subcultured on different media
- Isolates with different incubation times
VITEK® MS V3: A comprehensive database update for mycobacteria, Nocardia, and moulds
The new VITEK® MS V3 IVD-CE marked* database for bacteria and fungi now contains mycobacteria, Nocardia and moulds. This enhanced database includes Mycobacteria tuberculosis (TB), non-tuberculous mycobacteria (NTM), dermatophytes and dymorphic fungi, including the most prevalent species relevant to patient infections. The ability to quickly identify these difficult organisms on a mass spectrometry system allows microbiologists to provide clinicians with actionable results to aid in quicker treatment for diseases such as tuberculosis, osteomyelitis caused by NTM, and serious fungal infections.
VITEK® MS’s excellent performance in identifying mycobacteria, Nocardia and moulds, allows results to be rapidly released to physicians for better patient care. This helps hospitals save both money (molecular probes, sequencing, send-outs) and time (ability to bring testing in-house, and faster identification of these difficult organisms).
Optimized workflow and Seamless ID/AST integration
VITEK® MS is designed specifically for optimized workflow in the microbiology laboratory. Its 4-slide capacity enables parallel preparation of samples by four different technologists at separate workstations, with placement on the instrument at the same time. With 48 sample spots per target slide, 192 isolates can be tested per run
- Guided slide preparation for ID and connection with AST using the VITEK® MS Prep Station
- Very few steps to obtain a result – same day ID and AST(with VITEK 2) results
- Less hands-on time to focus on more value added tasks
- Variable throughput for large and small labs (1-192 samples/run)
Myla®, bioMérieux’s advanced middleware solution, offers real-time reporting and seamless integration of the ID and AST results from VITEK® MS and VITEK® 2.
Easy-to-read results viewed in Myla®
VITEK® SOLUTIONS: Complete traceability and flexibility
VITEK®MS provides complete traceability and flexibility that contributes to overall lab efficiency and confidence.
- Barcodes on reagents and disposables provide traceability by automatically linking ID with AST results for each isolate.
- Disposable slides:
- Reduce risk of erroneous results from contamination
- Reduce chemical safety hazard issues.
- 3 acquisition areas or groups, each with a calibration spot
- Automatic verification of operation, tuning and alignment is transparent to the user.